What makes a leader?
It is well defined by one of the greatest management guru about the leader.
“The leaders who work most effectively, it seems to me, never say “I.” And that’s not because they have trained themselves not to say “I.” They don’t think “I.” They think “we”; they think “team.”
They understand their job to be to make the team function. They accept responsibility and don’t sidestep it, but “we” get the credit. This is what creates trust, which enables you to get the task done.” ― Peter F. Drucker
Do these leadership traits only makes you a good safety leader?
- A good leader has the motivation to prevent harm to anyone
- A good leader ensures a safe place of work for staff
- A good leader has respect for the law and regulations
- A good leader maintains and develops skills, knowledge, and experience in themselves and others
- A good leader is objective, fair, and reasonable
- A good leader takes responsibility for his own as well as other actions
- A good leader acts with conviction
- A good leader provides clear direction
- A good leader communicates effectively
- A good leader discharges of a Duty of Care to customers, clients, and staff
A true leader has the confidence to stand alone, the courage to make tough decisions, and the compassion to listen to the needs of others
Leadership is not simple, leader are simple
Leadership is not simple to think if we ask a question on every trait mentioned above. If it was so simple to get these qualities easily, everyone around us would have to be demonstrating leadership by now. But if the leader is simple it is easy to achieve the goal they want.
Simple means what? – They explain the goal in simple language so as to its is understood by everyone and it looks achievable.
- Simple means what? – They show a simple way to achieve it.
- Simple means what? – They apply simple techniques to achieve it
- Simple means what? – They simply give more to achieve it.
Having said that about leaders and to become a safety leaders one has to be strong on EQ and not only on IQ.
What is Intelligence Quotient.? –
- A measure of intellectual, analytical, logical, and rational abilities
- Retaining/recalling information, problem-solving, manipulating numbers, etc.
Here are some of the key facts you should bear in mind:What is Emotional Quotient or Emotional Intelligence?Emotional intelligence (EI) is the ability to monitor one’s own and other people’s emotions, to discriminate between different emotions and label them appropriately, and to use emotional information to guide thinking and behavior. “Emotions are among the primary determinants of behavior at work and profoundly influence both the social climate and the productivity f companies and organisation” well said by management guru. So if you want to bring a behavioral change in the organisation about safety in the organisation one has to work strongly on EI.
Know Yourself gives you the “what” – when you Know Yourself, you know your strengths and challenges, you know what you are doing, what you want, and what to change. Choose Yourself provides the “how” – it shows you how to take action, how to influence yourself and others, how to “operationalise” these concepts. Give Yourself delivers the “why” – when you Give Yourself you are clear and full of energy so you stay focused on why to respond a certain way, why to move in a new direction, and why others should come on board.
Leadership is the collective action of everyone you influence. Your behavior – your actions and your words – determine how you influence. In the course of the past year, we have focused on how emotional intelligence operates at work. We have examined the relationship between emotional intelligence and effective performance, especially in safety leaders. And we have observed how emotional intelligence shows itself on the job. This has helped safety leaders to create better, safer, and healthier workplace and environment of trust among everybody. People feel they are being taken care of and an increase in productivity is simply visible as the morale of the workforce is high.